9/06/2008

S'more Life Experience

I attend a drum circle every Friday night (or so), and I usually have snacks with me, so I can keep up my stength. A friend asked if I take s'mores, specially since there is a bonfire on the beach. Appearantly, a campfire is a prerequisit for s'mores, and being on the beach is a bonus for the whole experience.

I wasn't aware of these things since I had never had s'mores in my life. Yes, I did just say that. Never. After all, I was never a Girl Scout. So, when I went shopping, I grabbed the ingredients: marshmellows, chocolate, and graham crackers.

Graham crackers bring back memeories of a babysitter I had in kindergarten. She always gave us them as snacks, so I got pretty sick of them. That and vanilla wafers. Since then I've always avoided them; but now, I'm on a mission, and if chocolate is involved, I'm sure I can move past this.

[available on a t-shirt at threadless.com]

Anyway, on a break from noise-making, I found a long stick, suitable for roasting the marshmellows. While I tried not to char my marshmellow, my friend pre-assembled the crackers & chocolate. We added my marshmellow and I took my first bite...

"Okay," I thought, "I can like this... even with the graham crackers!" I ended up having two, but with a drum session in between; boy those things are rich!

So, I've now joined the ranks of Americana and had s'mores. Yet one more life experience to check off my list (even though it wasn't on my list). I'm not sure I was really missing anything, but I won't tell my friend that. ;-)

If you're a s'more freak (and they are out there), checkout the history page some scout leader put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment