9/09/2008

A Fortune Buffet

My good friends, Tim and Dallas, invited me to dinner tonight. We went to New Best Buffet, which lives in an converted Burger King. The food was tasty, with a wide variety to choose from. I had five plates worth (but they were only 8" plates), but I did skip lunch too. My brother-in-law panned the food, but it's not a "meat & potatoes" kind of place so I can understand why. My official review is here.

Anyway, the point of all this was actually the fortune cookies we were given at the end of the meal. Just your standard, vacuum-packed, commercial senbei, but the fortunes left us...well, befuddled.

Tim's was first:

A smile is a curve that can get a lot of things straight.

Now, it sounds like there might be a "lost in translation" kind of thing happening here, but the more you ponder, it almost makes sense. Then again...maybe not.

Dallas' wasn't much clearer:

A mile walked with a friend contains only a hundred steps.

If you've ever been through a 12-step program, that probably sounds fairly daunting, but she felt it meant a trip taken with a friend goes faster.

And then there's mine, which made me smile:

If you want to get a sure crop with a big yield, sow wild oats.

I could go pragmatic here and conclude some clever insights concerning investments in time and energy, but personally, I'm hoping this is a harbinger of some improvements to a certain portion of my life...

...we'll see.


P.S.  These are the deluxe fortunes, by the way, with lucky numbers and "Learn Chinese" phrases on the back! Respectively:

Still single (not married) - mae yao jeh huan
19, 10, 33, 22, 45, 17

What time is it now? - Xian jai ge dan
50, 4, 37, 33, 11, 22

...and finally, mine reads:

Don't matter (not related) - mae yao guan xi
12, 23, 4, 25, 26, 16

No, I don't know why the numbers aren't ascending, but I think I'll get a lotto ticket...

No comments:

Post a Comment